- Tour Cost $4000
- You receive a $100 discount for each person you bring to our tour. Bring a group of 15 travelers and you are given a free seat on the tour!
- $500 of the $4000 is required down payment once you have submitted the “Initial Traveler Information Form” and your place on the tour is accepted.
Covered in Tour Cost
- Professional coach service throughout the tour
- 10 overnight stays at quality Irish Hotels — all rooms ensuite
- Landscape Tour Hotels: Ennis – Old Ground Hotel, Galway – Connemara Coast Hotel, Clifden – Foyles Hotel .
- BONUS: There is no waiting for access to your room on arrival from the airport. Even if you arrive as early as 6:00 AM, Irish Byways makes your room immediately available so you may rest and recover from your flight
- Our interpretive guide is Dave Hogan for all tours
- Experienced managers travel with you
- Two-three ferry boat trips to islands of historical significance
- All entry fees to sites included in tour itinerary
- All breakfasts, five abundant lunches (four served and one packed when in more remote area) and five festive evening meals with entertainment by the best of local Irish musicians
Not Covered in Tour Cost
- Airfare and in-Ireland travel insurance (described below)
- Personal choice expenses (taxis and other activities not included in our itinerary)
- Any meals beyond those included in the tour fee
- No visas are required for US citizens. Bring valid passport and a photo copy backup.
- Credit and Debit Cards are preferred. Travelers checks are not. Remember to notify your bank and credit card company of your intentions to travel abroad.
- When you arrive at the airport you may withdraw Euro cash with your debit card. Cash machines are also easily found on the street.
- Be sure to have an additional way to access your cash in case your debit or credit card becomes inactive while in Ireland!
Required Travel Insurance
We require each traveler to secure Travel Guard Platinum Level Travel Insurance (or an equivalent insurance) while you travel with us in-Ireland. Travelers are required to carry this in-Ireland travel insurance to provide the level of protection needed if a medical emergency of any nature should arise. Such insurance is required for protection against unforeseen circumstances which may also cause you to cancel or interrupt your trip. The insurance must cover the possibility for airlift, medical care and hospitalization in Ireland. It also must cover the possibility of an emergency flight for care at home. A copy of your travel insurance will be requested by Irish Byways, LLC one month before departure.
For questions regarding Travel Guard Insurance, we recommend: Sandeen Insurance, Hudson, WI 715 386 5825 www.sandeen.com Ask for Meme or Cindy.
EMERGENCY CARE IN IRELAND DURING OUR TOURS “Ireland has both nationwide and municipal emergency ambulance and rescue services. At all times we will be within 60-90 minutes of University Hospital emergency rooms (the top tier hospitals in Ireland). Emergency services respond to 999 and 112 calls. In the case of extraordinary emergencies all municipal and county councils have emergency plans that can be implemented rapidly.” — Dave Hogan
Optional Recommended Reading
- Mythic Ireland, by Michael Dames, Thames and Hudson Limited (London, 1992).
- Celtic Heritage, by Alwyn Rees and Brinley Rees, Thames and Hudson (London, 1961, reprinted 1995).
- The Traveller’s Guide to Sacred Ireland: A Guide to the Sacred Places of Ireland, Her Legends, Folklore and People, by Cary Meehan, Gothic Image Publications (2002).
- A Guide to Connemara’s Early Christian Sites, by Anthony Previte, Oldchapel Press (Oughterard, Ireland, 2008).
- Myth, Legend & Romance: An Encyclopedia of the Irish Folk Tradition, by Dr Daithi O Hogain, Pinnacle (1991).
- Lady Gregory’s Complete Irish Mythology, by Lady Isabella Augusta Gregory, Bounty Books, (reprinted 2005).
- The Power of Myth, by Joseph Campbell, Doubleday Books (1988).
- Over Nine Waves: A Book of Irish Legends, by Marie Heaney, Faber & Faber (1995).
- Celtic Wonder Tales, by Ella Young, Dover Publications.
- Recommended for Travelers retired: The Wisdom Years, by Barbara Skye Boyd – a traveler’s approach to living life as an intentional adventure in later years
Academy for Ancient Texts Is an excellent website that has a long list of stories and primary texts including:
- The Book of Invasions of Ireland (Lebor Gabala Errin)
- The Second Battle of Moytirra
- The Debility of the Ulstermen
- The Metrical Dindsenchas
- Sinend: The Shannon River